header4.jpg

This website uses third-party cookies in order to obtain statistical data about browsing.

If you continue browsing, it is understood that you accept the use of such cookies. For further information or to find out how to change your cookies settings, please consult our cookies policy.

CLOSE

logo turisme montseny gran

banner-wedding

The Heir from Figueroles

Under construction

Women's water Gualba

Legend: The water maiden of Gualba

Once upon a time at the house of Can Prat, there was a powerful man who managed his lands, his woods and his animals with wisdom. Everyone in that area of the Montseny knows that Can Prat is an old house which has more than a hundred acres of woods and a hundred and ninety acres of lush fields. At that time the house owned a dozen smaller farmhouses and around the mountain another seven farmsteads with happy tenants.

The master of Can Prat often liked to walk through the oak woods. He knew what the wind which blew in the tops of the poplars meant.

He heard the barking of the dogs at the evening hour, among the oaks, and the faint, almost imperceptible clanking of the herd’s cow bells as the cows returned to the stockade. As he was a hard working man, night often fell while he was beyond the two hills which bordered his property. Higher and higher still he climbed- sure of step- under the ever-changing sky, paths and footpaths to the outskirts of the dark and shadowy Valley of Santa Fe.

One day he was taking one of his evening strolls when he arrived right at the very banks of the Black Pool, there where the waters run unfathomably deep. It was midnight and the full moon shone clear and bright. The pool was still and lifeless. Not a breath of air passed through the branches of the willows. Not an animal stirred. No other light shone except the splendour of the moon which filled the sky. There was something strange and heavy in the air, and with aching legs the master of Can Prat sat himself down next to the water on a sloping rock. Then, half submerged in the waters of the pool, an image, at first a blur and then in clear view, the marvellous figure of a naked woman appeared, slowly and absent-mindedly combing her blond hair, blond like gold, with a brilliant comb The master of Can Prat had never seen such perfection as hers, nor were there words to explain it. No man could have resisted such awesome beauty.

The woman languidly passed the comb through her hair with her arms held high, while she softly sang some strange melody. Her eyes were green, tender and soft but distant, far away as if they still saw, in the lost lines of the dark wood, a land of sure and perfect forms.
Suddenly the woman looked at him, from head to toe, and at that moment he understood that he loved her as he had never loved any one else, and that his destiny was inevitably linked to hers. And it was desire and it was contemplation, will pride and audacity he felt as he admired that adorable face and that provocative body.

The master of Can Prat asked what her name was, but the woman, without quitting her gaze did not answer. And as the story goes, the master asked her questions for a long time while she just watched him with her young, emerald eyes without saying a word, but finally there came the moment when timidly and calmly she explained that she was a water maiden and not a mortal, but neither was she immortal and she obeyed a law and customs different from those of men; that her embrace in that deep and dangerous place had the power in the night of the full moon to drown the men who desired her. The story also tells us that the voice of the woman vibrated like the sound of a bell at sea, and that her accent made him think of another world, perhaps that which some have known in a simpler and happier existence.

It was love in vain on that special night. The man, prisoner of the place and the time asked the nymph insistently if she would accept to be his wife, and he offered to share with her, his house, his land and the wealth that he owned in the county as a sign of his love for her. She however was afraid to leave the dark protection of the place where she had grown up, and immerse herself in a new life of which she knew nothing at all. She had heard that men were inconstant, unbalanced and rude, and incredibly covetous.

However, the water maiden felt tired of the cold certitude of her environment, and she realised that she liked the strong man before her, and so she agreed to marry him on the condition that he swore, then and there to never, ever, under any circumstances, for whatever reason, to remind her either in public or in private of her river origins, nor was he to taunt her with words or expressions about this.
And so it came to pass- as they say- that the water maiden became the wife and mistress of Can Prat, the legitimate loving wife, the wise counsellor, and generous and respected owner, together with her husband of much wealth. What’s more, the power of the family increased to the point that the name of Prat de Gualba was highly considered in the palace of the Count of Barcelona himself and even beyond the Mediterranean, in all the lands, islands and counties of Catalonia. People also say that the couple had two children, a son and a daughter who looked a lot like their mother, and who grew strong and tall among all that wealth. The years went by, after the heat and the harvest came red autumn, later the whistling winter, and happy smoke came from the chimney of Can Prat at all hours. The spring came like a surprise with the flight of the daisies and man and wife, hand in hand watched the torrents of water which meandered down the mountain.

But at the Black Rock at the side of the plain a mean god made his home. He spied maliciously at critical moments: an evil spirit of the place without name and unseen, the author of mischief and bad luck of all kinds and the body of the devils that boiled in the sinister waters. He was the creator, who knows of the terrible fate which was about to occur and this is certain and nothing strange, and in one way or another part of the story which I will now explain:

So we have before us the terrible day when the master of Can Prat and his wife were looking over a fine piece of land which they needed to prepare, they began to argue over which would be the right crop to plant. The master thought that it would be a good idea to plant a wheat field to make fine bread, and highly valued on the market. The wife on the other hand argued against this, and said that the land was not at all suitable, and in her opinion, corn with its full cobs would be more appropriate. The arguments and opinions of first one and then the other rose in tone until the point at which the husband, as angry as could be, and forgetting his vow which he had made years before, reproached his wife with loud cries which echoed through the mountains and hill he accused her that little could she know of sowing or of planting because she was nothing more than a poor woman born and dragged by the master himself from the waters of the river. He realised what he had said and regretted it; but who can take back a word misplaced? The deed was done. The infallible misfortune and the charm were lost.

The water maiden, on hearing the forbidden words, fled to the depths of the Black Pool, and the master of Can Prat could not stop her. She ran and ran as if carried away by an evil wind until she disappeared. Fallen and weak he returned home, while from La Coma de Morou until the hill of En Berenguer Mort, the sky filled with furious clouds.

It is said that the master of Can Prat never saw his wife again; and he was strong and brave and went to the pool during the day and shouted to her; cursed or made promises to the gods who watched over that place without result; came and went frenetically from his house to the pool, up and down the path, crying like a child, hoping to discover her when she was unawares. He passed hours and hours at a western window of his home gazing at the place from where she had fled and at night, at full moon. How he wanted to leave the house to go and find her at the riverbanks of the turbulent pool, but each time he tried, he fell asleep like a dead man on the bench in front of the fire and slept soundly until the dawn.

It is also said that, when the master, invaded by this weakness, did not notice, his wife entered the house cautiously and went to her children’s bedroom, where she kissed them sweetly and caressed them. She would stay there a while, standing attentive singing her song, and before leaving she would cry shining tears on the large chestnut table of the dining room, tears which, the next day were transformed into strange pearls of great value which the master of Can Prat took, amazed, without knowing from where they came. This was how, despite the tragedy, the prosperity of the house grew and grew for many years.

Extract from the book: "Legends of the Montseny" Martí Boada
Source: Water maiden Xavier Renau Pub. Editorial Altafulla, 1986

Montseny Natural Park

montseny

El Montseny Natural Park.Biosphere Reserve

The Association of Tourism Businesses of Montseny was created in 1999 with the view to promoting quality tourism which respects the environment, and preserves the value of the cultural and natural heritage of the Montseny as a fundamental resource and recovers and promotes our’own traditions. Businesses dedicated to tourism located in the Natural Park of Montseny and in its area of influence have formed this association: hotels, restaurants, bars, camp sites, country tourism, adventure tourism, riding schools, balloon flights, walking routes, confectioner’s etc.

We at the Association of Tourism Businesses hope that this web page serves to help our clients and improve communication among all of us.

Legends

Festivals and traditions

Aiguafreda

- Cavalcada de Reis: 5 de gener

- Caminada d’Aiguafreda: a l’abril, després de Setmana Santa

- Aplec de l’Ascensió a Aiguafreda de Dalt: finals de maig

- Aplec de Sant Salvador: primer diumenge d’agost

- Festa Major, La Mare de Déu d’Agost: 15 d’agost

- Tornaboda a les alzines d’Avencó: 17 d’agost

- Castanyada: A l’Octubre, pels voltants de Tots Sants

- Festa Major d’Hivern: 8 de desembre

- Fira de Nadal: una setmana abans de Nadal

Arbúcies

- Festa del Roser de Joanet: segon diumenge de maig

- Fira de l’aigua: últim diumenge d'abril.

- Marxa de la Primavera: segon diumenge de maig.

- Concurs de catifes de flors naturals: diumenge abans de Corpus.

- Fira Mostra de Tradicions Catalanes: el diumenge abans de Corpus.

- Festes de les Enramades: del Corpus fins al dimecres següent.

- Festa Major: últim diumenge de juliol.

- Aplec de la Capella: quart diumenge de setembre.

- Festa de la Tardor: tercer cap de setmana d’octubre

- Festa del Flabiol: 30 i 31 d’octubre

Breda

- Festa de l’ajust, Fira d’Entitats: tercer diumenge després de Pasqua

- Aplec de la Sardana: segon diumenge d’abril

- Aplec de Santa Anna: 26 de juliol

- Festa Major: Segona setmana de setembre ( Normalment 9, 10, 11 de Setembre)

El Brull

- Aplec de Sant Jaume: Diumenge de Pasqua

- Festa Major de Sant Cristòfol la Castanya: primer diumenge de juliol

- Aplec de Matagalls: segon diumenge de Juliol

- Festa Major de Sant Jaume: el dissabte més proper al 25 de juliol

- Festa Major del Brull: últim cap de setmana d’sgost

- Travessa Matagalls – Montserrat: tercera setmana de setembre

- Gran Festa “Viu el Parc”: Tercer Diumenge de setembre

- Cap de Setmana Ibèric: primer cap de setmana d’octubre

- Festa de Sant Martí: cap de setmana anterior a l’11 de novembre

Campins

- Aplec de Sant Guillem: segon Diumenge de maig

- Festa Major: últim cap de setmana d’agost

Cànoves i Samalús

- Festa Major d’hivern: 20 de gener

- Fira de Sant Ponç: primera quinzena de maig

- Festa Major de Cànoves: primer cap de setmana se juny

- Festa Major d’Estiu de Samalús: darrer cap de setmana d’agost

- Aplec de Sant Salvador de Terrades: primer diumenge d’agost

- Festa de Sant Andreu a Samalús: 30 de novembre

Centelles

- Cau de les Bruixes: febrer - Carnaval: febrer - Aplec del Turó de Puigsegordi: 1 de maig - Festa del segar i del batre: 3a setmana de juliol - Festa del Pi: 30 de desembre

Figaró - Montmany

- Aplec de Puiggraciós: 25 de març

- Festa del Pi: primer diumenge després de Pasqua

- Festa dels Sants Patrons: primer dilluns després de Pasqua

- Aplec de Sant Cristòfol: 10 de juliol

- Festa Major: 1 de setembre

Fogars de Montclús

- Festa del Roser a Mosqueroles: primer cap de setmana de maig

- Festa Major del Pertegàs: tercer cap de setmana de juliol

- Festa Major de la Costa: segon cap de setmana d'agost

- Passejada del Senglar: mitjans d’agost

- Aplec de Fogars: quart diumenge de setembre

- Festa Major de Sant Martí de Mosqueroles: segon diumenge de novembre

Gualba

- Festa Major d’hivern: tercer cap de setmana de gener

- La nit dels Ous: dissabte de Setmana Santa

- Festa Major de Gualba de Baix: últim cap de setmana de juliol

- Festa Major d’estiu: tercer cap de setmana d’agost (al voltant del 16 d’Agost)

La Garriga

- Aplec dels Garriguencs: quart diumenge d’abril

- Festa del Corpus: diumenge després del dijous de Corpus

- Festa Major: última setmana de Juliol

- Aplec de la sardana: 10 de Setembre

Montseny

- Vot de poble a Sant Marçal: dilluns de la segona Pasqua

- Aplec de Sant Bernat: segon diumenge de juny

- Festa Major de Sant Marçal: 30 de juny

- Aplec de Matagalls: segon diumenge de juliol

- Festa major d’estiu de Sant Martí: 24 juliol

- Festa Major de Montseny: quart diumenge d’agost

- Festa Major d’hivern de Sant Martí: 11 de novembre

Riells i Viabrea

- Festa Major: primer cap de setmana d’agost

- Aplec de Sant Llop: primer diumenge de setembre

- Festa Major d’hivern: 11 de novembre

Sant Celoni

- Ball de gitanes: diumenge de carnaval

- Festa Major: primer cap de setmana de setembre

- Festa Major de la Batllòria: tercer cap de setmana de setembre

- Festa Major de Sant Martí: segon diumenge de novembre

- Festa Major de la Batllòria “La Mare de Déu de l’Esperança”: 18 de desembre

Sant Esteve de Palautordera

- Ball de gitanes: diumenge de Carnaval i 26 de desembre

- Festa Major: primer cap de setmana d'agost

- Festa Major de Santa Margarida: primer cap de setmana de setembre

- Festa de Tardor: 1 de novembre

Santa Maria Palautordera

Festa Major d'hivern: darrer cap de setmana de gener.

Festa Major i aplec del Remei: segon diumenge d'octubre.

Sant Feliu de Buixalleu

- Festa del Roser a Gaserans: 15 dies després de Pasqua

- Trobada a Santa Bàrbara: 1 de maig

- Festa d’Homenatge a la Vellesa: primer diumenge de juny

- Festa Major de Grions: 26 de juliol

- Festa Major de Sant Feliu de Buixalleu: primer diumenge d’agost

- Festa Major de Gaserans: 10 d’agost

- Festa Major de Sant Segimon: primer cap de setmana de setembre

- Trobada al Gorg: 11 de setembre

- Festa d’hivern: entre primer i segon cap se setmana de desembre

Sant Hilari Sacalm

- Dia de Sant Hilari : 13 gener

- Via Crucis: divendres sant

- Rally Guilleries: entre primer i segon cap de setmana de juny

- Festa Major Petita. Homenatge a la vellesa: 24 juny

- Sant Cristòfol: 10 juliol

- Festa de l'estiuejant: primera setmana d’agost

- Aplec de la Sardana: tercer cap de setmana d’agost

- Festa Major: últim cap de setmana d’agost

- Torna en Serrallonga!: tercer cap de setmana de setembre

- Fira del bolet: tercer cap de setmana d’octubre

- Fira Fusta i Tallada de Troncs: primer cap de setmana de novembre (cada dos anys)

Sant Pere de Vilamajor

- Aplec de Sant Elies: 25 d'abril.

- Festa Major: últim cap se setmana de juny

- Festa medieval: primera setmana de juliol

- Aplec de Santa Susanna: 11 d'agost

- Fira de Santa Llúcia: segon diumenge de desembre

Seva

- Festa de Sant Miquel de Balenyà: tercer cap de setmana de juliol

- Festa Major: 15 d'agost

- Festa Major del Muntanyà: tercer diumenge d'agost

- Festa del Bolet: 12 d’Octubre

Tagamanent

- Aplec de Primavera al turó de Tagament: última setmana de maig

- Aplec de Tardor: 5 de setembre

- Festa Major: primer cap de setmana de setembre

Viladrau

- Festa de l’arbre: cap de setmana més proper al 21 de març

- Aplec de Sant Segimon: 1 de maig

- Aplec de l’Erola: últim diumenge de maig

- Aplec de Matagalls: segon diumenge de juliol

- Festa Cultural de l’Aigua: tercer cap de setmana de Juliol

- Estiu Bandoler: tot el mes d’agost

- Festa Major d’estiu: 8 de setembre

- Fira de la Castanya: últim cap de setmana d’octubre

- Festa Major d’hivern: 11 de novembre

- Entronització del pessebre a Sant Segimon: diumenge abans de Nadal

Llinars del Vallès

- Festa Major: segona setmana de setembre

- Festa Major de Sant Joan de Sanata: últim cap de setmana d’agost

Sant Antoni de Vilamajor

- Festa Major: tercer cap de setmana d’agost

- Aplec de Sant Lleí: 27 d’agost

- Festa Major d’hivern: 17 de gener

Balenyà

- Festa Major d’hivern: 21 de gener

- Festa Major: 24 d’agost o segona setmana de juliol (depenen de la festivitat de Sant Bartomeu)

- Aplec dels Ous: dilluns de Setmana Santa

Hostalric

- Festa Major: 1 de juliol

- Festa medieval: durant la Setmana Santa

- Festa Gegantera: cap de setmana més proper a l’1 de maig

- Festa Gastroart: últim cap de setmana de setembre

Taradell

- Festa Major d’hivern: 20 de gener

- Festa Major: entre la tercera i quarta setmana d’agost

- Fira de Santa Llúcia: entre el 12 i 14 de desembre

Tona

- Festa Major: primer cap de setmana d’agost

- Festa Major d’hivern: 30 de novembre

- Aplec del Castell: a la segona Pasqua

Mercats

Dilluns: Cardedeu
Dimarts: Vic i Hostalric
Dimecres: Sant Celoni i Taradell
Dijous: Granollers i Viladrau
Divendres: Llinars del Vallès i Tona
Dissabte: Santa M. de Palautordera, la Garriga, Vic, Riells i Viabrea, Sant Pere de Vilamajor i Balenyà
Diumenge: Sant Antoni de Vilamajor, Sant Hilari Sacalm, Breda i Arbúcies i Centelles.

Subcategories

Facebook Turisme Montseny    Instagram Turisme Montseny   Youtube Turisme Montseny   Vimeo Turisme Montseny   Twitter Turisme Montseny

Turisme Montseny

TurMontseny RT @Turismevalles: Coneixeu el castanyer de Can Cuch? És l’arbre més gruixut de #Catalunya i està a 30 minuts de #Barcelona. https://t.co/f
27mreplyretweetfavorite
TurMontseny Presents al 1r Fòrum ENS, amb la voluntat d'establir sinèrgies amb diferents agents i vetllar per l'ecoturisme i la… https://t.co/NyweLaqq3i
TurMontseny RT @montsoriu: gaudiu la tardor visitant #Montsoriu, el gran castell del Montseny @sortirambnens @Gironanoticies @TurMontseny @TurismeSelva